Saturday, November 12, 2011

A note from XX

Yes, the world needs another blog. Okay maybe not but advertising might. I'm an ad girl, have been for a while now. And do I have some stories. Even more, some ways of looking at the world you may not have thought about. Stories about being the only girl in the room. The last minute "bring in the skirt" requests. Being stereotyped as the "tampon girl" and once I had kids, as the "mommy expert." That's the stuff most of us ad girls have faced. Not that there's anything at all wrong with that. It's hot right now for women to do the women thing.

But I think there's a more interesting world out there beyond douche (Hasn't that been an interesting category the last few years. Maybe we'll talk about that some time.) Yes, I have a pretty good handle on women. I've worked with cool ones and I've worked with the women who give women a bad name. I'm here because like the XXs who lived millions of years before me, I know what boys like. (Tossing out a thanks to The Waitresses for that one.)

Not just THAT. Yes, boys like that. But I've sold long haul trucking, fighter jets, men's clothing and more in my career. I've told fart jokes, talked boy talk and can out-innuendo any dude I've ever worked with. (with possibly two exceptions.) Yes, I've failed a few times but I've also managed to uncover things about guys and selling to guys that a man would never dream of. This blog is about those stories. Things heard in the hall. Even the world occasionally. All through the eyes of an XX. So XY, beware. I'm watching.

Here's looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment